The Empowered University – Redefining Excellence: Vision-Driven Progress Through Challenging Times
“Change occurs whether we want it or not. Change in culture and practice flows from vision.”
Welcome to the 2021 University Retreat, our first virtual retreat, on Friday, January 29. Challenging times provide opportunities to reaffirm who we are, and we look forward to gathering as a community at a time when so much is at stake for the nation, the state, and public higher education.
Through interactive discussions involving established and emerging campus leaders as well as other higher education experts, we will reflect on experiences and learning from 2020 and explore what it means to redefine and sustain excellence in higher education at this moment.
11:00 a.m. – 12:50 p.m.
- Co-Create UMBC: Art Exhibit by Tess McRae ’21. Exhibition Information.
- Welcome and Conversation with authors of The Empowered University: President Hrabowski and Provost Rous
- Keynote: David Attis, Managing Director, Strategic Research, Education Advisory Board (EAB)
- Yoga Break: Joella Lubaszewski, Instructor, UMBC Recreation
- Senate Leaders Book Group
- Agenda & Session Review
Lunch With a Leader
12:50 – 1:30 p.m.
Bring your lunch for a casual conversation with a university leader “at” their favorite place on campus. Click on the link to join.
- Lynne Schaefer, VP Administration and Finance at the library pond
- Greg Simmons, VP Institutional Advancement at the Event Center
- Karl Steiner, VP Research at the Library
- Jack Suess, VP of IT & CIO at the Pool
- Nancy Young, VP of Student Affairs in the Commons
- Kimberly Moffitt, Interim Dean, College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences at the PAHB Sculpture
- Bill LaCourse, Dean, College of Natural & Mathematical Sciences in the ILSB
- Keith Bowman, Dean, College of Engineering & Information Technology backstage at FIRST Lego League
- Janet Rutledge, Dean & Vice Provost, Graduate Education with True Grit
- Dana Bradley, Dean, The Erickson School at Pig Pen Pond
Writing the Next Chapter – Break -out Activities
1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Join a session by clicking on the link. Please attend the session you were assigned to.
- Co-hosts: Katharine Cole, Yvette Mozie-Ross, Kylie Hoffman
- Co-hosts: Candace Dodson Reed, Chris Hawn, Patrick Reid ’21
- Co-hosts: Jill Wardell, Orianne Smith, Wendy Zhang ’22
- Co-hosts: Greg Simmons, Tyson King Meadows, Sam Patterson ’21
3:10 – 3:45 p.m.
- Arts Break
- Q&A Session with President Hrabowski, Provost Rous, and Vice Presidents
- Next Chapter Presentations
- Closing Panel Discussion